I was visiting a Client in Los Angeles. He started up a new practice. He wanted to start with an EMR software that was a complete system to help him get started in the right way. When we first talked last year, my first thought was that just like many others, he would want a system that can do everything without having to pay anything.
I was surprised when he emphasized that he had two objectives.
- A system that was powerful enough to help him with clinical documentation and manage the business of a medical practice.
- Someone that can be a 'partner' to help optimize the practice workflow and bring in efficiency.
What was missing here in the goals was - 'how much'. He did not talk about pricing at all. Out of the four packages that were offered, he chose number 3 that had more value services, unlimited training and immediate phone support when he needed it. He ended up paying a couple hundred dollars a month more than what he would have paid otherwise, but what he ended up getting was far more valuable.
During my time at this clinic last week I found that he had been able to setup an extremely smooth workflow, and his staff was trained and happy. They knew that EMR Software was a tool that they needed to use optimally.
I did not see any of the standard negatives I see at other practices struggling with EMR Software implementation. I have seen some practices with the same software struggle. Part of the problem was that there were compromises made in the level of training they purchased.
In a nutshell, here are some things we did together:
- Optimized Templates that would take care of 80-90% patients within 90 seconds or less.
- Front Desk optimized patient registration, scheduling process.
- Empowering Patients to help with intake data to reduce their paperwork and staff's time doing data entry.
- Creating Notes such that billing is error free with minimal rejection.
- Setting up Management Reports to help practice owners and providers stay on top of Practice Finances by spending less than 5 minutes per week.
In short, if you like the EMR System you are looking at, make sure you get adequate training and services. EMR Software should be a tool to help re-engineer your Practice and optimize workflow.